- Private Investment Funds and Unregistered Marketers,
Wall Street Lawyer, February 2015
- The Courts Whittle Away Non-Solicitation Clauses: Broker Dealers Beware, Federal Bar Association Side-Bar, Summer 2014
- First-Party Indemnification for Attorney's Fees,
New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2014
- Are you a Finder or an Unregistered Broker?
The Federal Lawyer, December 2013
- The Impact of the Janus Ruling on Secondary Liability in 10-b Claims,
Federal Bar Association Side-Bar, Spring 2012
- July 19, 2017
Cyber Liability for Law Firms: Protecting Client Data & Mitigating Business Risks
Liam O'Brien has over twenty-five years of broad-based experience trying cases as lead counsel in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels. Liam has successfully argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit and the New York State Appellate Division and has represented clients in a number of other jurisdictions including Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Texas and Washington D.C. Liam has successfully represented many of the major national brokerage firms in arbitration proceedings and represents corporate clients in a full ranges of business and commercial disputes. Liam has authored various articles including Private Investment Funds and Unregistered Marketers, The Wall Street Lawyer 2015; The Courts Whittle Away Non-Solicitation Clauses: Broker Dealers Beware, The Federal Bar Association Sidebar 2014; Are you a Finder or an Unregistered Broker Dealer, The Federal Lawyer 2013; First-Party Indemnification for Attorney Fees, The New York State Bar Association Journal 2014; The Impact of the Janus Ruling on Secondary Liability in 10b-5 Claims, Federal Bar Association Section, Spring 2012.
Mr. O'Brien is a 1991 graduate of Fordham University School of Law, where he was an editor/writer for the Fordham International Law Journal. He graduated cum laude from Fordham College, Fordham University in 1988.
Liam is the President of the SDNY Chapter of The Federal Bar Association, the Deputy Chair of the FBA Securities Law Section, the Chair of the FBA SDNY Securities Law Section, a past member of the FBA Government Relations Committee and a member the New York County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in New York State and before the United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Fordham School of Law
- Fordham University
- Federal Bar Association Southern District of New York Chapter, President (2017-2018)
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- New York County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Court
- Federal Court for the S.D.N.Y, E.D.N.Y., U.S. Court of Appeals and Second Circuit